The Temple was recently renovated. People from various places visit this temple during festival days. The Subramaniya Swamy idol in this temple is the tallest Lord Muruga statue in India. The temple is believed to be 1200 years old. Long ago, the place was believed to be occupied by a demon called vallan. It was considered to be his fort. Upon hearing the devas ordeal and oppression at the hands of asura,
lord muruga decided and destroyed the assuran to restore the peace and prosperity. As per the death wish of assuran, he blessed the place with the name Vallankottai. In course of time, the name became Vallakotai. In the eight songs of the Thirupukazh, sung by Arunagirinadhar, the place has been referred to as Kodainagar. The temple has a tank and tit is known as Vajra theertham. People strongly believe that a holy dip in the tank with the chanting of the mantra OM Saravanabhava would end all miseries.
One of the foremost of Murugan temples in India, Vallakottai Murugan temple is situated in a tiny hamlet near Chennai. Vallakkottai is a hamlet in Kanchipuram District, situated at a distance of twelve kilometers south of Sriperumputr on the Sriperumpur Cenkalpattu Road 24 kilometers from Tamparam on the Orakkalam Sriperumputr bus route.Let us peep into its puranic lore.
The Vallakkottai or the Kodai Nagar temple was built by king Bagiradha in gratitude for His divine grace. Vallakkottai Murugan is therefore known as izhandha selvangalai meetuth tharum arulmigu kodayaaNdavar He who restores all that is lost. It is also said that the place owes its name to an ogre by name Vallan, who struck terror in the minds of people. They took refuge in Lord Muruga and he destroyed Vallan. Since this was ruled over by Vallan for a very long time, it continues to be known as Valla Kottai fort of Vallan.